Guns N Roses - Paradise City
- Performance video - from concert where they were supporting Aerosmith.
- Black & white allows the video to be "timeless" and doesn't appear dated.
- Emphasis on Axl and Slash (two main icons of the band and rock music in general)
- No special effects - it's just the band being a band.
- Build up to concert shown as well as the actual performance
- Classic style video for rock genre.
(Sorry for the poor quality. EMI blocked embedding on the official version)
- Concept video, very smart
- Band performance is secondary
- Subtitles for dialogue
- Strange/intelligent feel - similar to genre's attributes
- Directed by art film director
- Original (like the band)
- Older audience? as older character's are generally seen
Depeche Mode - Enjoy The Silence
- Concept video
- Strange tone (similar to step into darker music that was taken by Depeche Mode)
- No band performance - band are seen in a photoshoot style scene.
- Artistic qualities (singer Jared Leto is an actor having appeared in films such as Requiem for a Dream, Fight Club, Panic Room, American Psycho)
- Perfomance/concept video
- Includes many fans shown in positive eco-friendly stance. Fans are key to the sound of this album, with backing singing throughout many songs.
- Sophisticated style - silhouettes
- Big budget?
- Older audience
Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
- Low budget
- Performance essentially (strange elements are included though)
- Very basic - similar to original indie sound
- Setting is plain - working class appeal?
Rusted Root - Send Me On My Way
- Hippie style music video
- Performance essentially
- Very rural setting - links to hippie movement (in touch with nature)
- Eccentric colours - again links to style and positivity
- Nostalgia for those of us who watched Matilda as a child (or more recently Ice Age)
Guns N Roses - November Rain
- Huge budget compared to earlier videos
- Very OTT - can see how band has changed style
- Very long song and video
- Emphasis is still on Axl (and Slash)
- Stage performance - sound band were going for
- Epic feel
- Infamous Slash guitar solo outside chapel
- Lighting of stage - dramatic
Michael Jackson - Thriller
- Emphasis on Michael - looks directly into camera
- Heavily themed - stage show esque
- Big budget
- Extended versions of video - cinematic style
- Large use of costumes
- Lighting and stage create this almost show link feel the video